OpenQRM is an open-source Data-center management platform. Its fully plug-able architecture focuses on automatic, rapid- and appliance-based deployment, monitoring, high-availability, cloud computing and especially on supporting and conforming multiple virtualization technologies. OpenQRM is a single-management console for the complete IT-infra structure and provides a well defined API which can be used to integrate third-party tools as additional plug-ins.
I've been working on OpenQRM since past couple of days and I found this tool quite useful & ultimately cool. According to me, this tool is best fit for any small size IT infrastructure setup however if OpenQRM deployed with a proper planing and with little more customization then it's a very good choice for any medium size IT infrastructure setup to manage data center automation with Cloud computing feature.
Few observations from my side -
- Cloud Billing module is available despite of it's being Open Source product. I'm seeing this as the only tool which provides billing facility while being Open Source
- Hypervisor supported as management & managed platform – KVM, Xen, Citrix, VMware (VMware with few restrictions like version, security compromises etc)
- Hardware independent, no vendor locking
- NOT just a Cloud product, Cloud is part of it – it also provides Single Console Hypervisor management (KVM, Xen, Citrix, VMware)
- Plug-able Monitoring framework using Zabbix
- High availability support
- Physical system provision via cloud
- Public cloud provisioning (Hybrid Cloud is also possible using Eucalyptus & Amazon)
- Number of Storage types are possible like Netapps, iSCSI, LVM, File-based, LVM NFS server & many more good feature.
Well, here you go for an Embed version of document -
OpenQRM Implementation Document PSL
Currently I'm working on IBM Service Delivery Manager (ISDM) cloud platform. ISDM has been build upon integration of IBM products namely -
IBM Tivoli Provisioning Manager
IBM Tivoli Service Automation Manager
IBM Tivoli Usage & Accounting Manager
IBM Tivoli Monitoring
A wonderful product to work on, I'll soon post more details about ISDM work & my experiences. Currently, I've been successfully completed ISDM integration with VMware & KVM hypervisors and enabled VM provisioning,metering & overall VM life cycle management. Lot more things in progress like building up software catalog, Image Library with well designed images and much more.